How much do painters charge per hour?
Painting is an essential part of any renovation project, and it's important to understand the cost involved before hiring a professional painter. The cost of painting per hour in Australia can vary greatly depending on several factors, including the location, the type of paint, the size of the project, and the level of expertise required. In this blog post, we will explore the average hourly rate for painters in Australia and provide some tips to help you save money on your next painting project.
We'll also take a look at alternate costs including per-day costs to help you understand what your paint job might cost. Giving your home a fresh coat of paint shouldn't be difficult and BorisDoes is here to make it as easy as possible. So, how much does a painter cost?
Average hourly rate for painters in Australia
According to BorisDoes Taskers and tradies, the average cost of a painter is approximately $45-$60 per hour. However, this can vary significantly depending on the location and the type of job. In metropolitan areas such as Sydney and Melbourne, painters can charge up to $80 per hour, while in smaller towns and cities, the average hourly rate may be closer to $35 per hour.
In addition to a standard hourly rate, many painters may also charge for additional services such as paint removal, surface preparation, or clean-up after the job is done. It's important to clarify all of these details upfront to avoid any surprises on your final bill.
To get the best value for your money, it's always a good idea to get multiple quotes from different painters in your area. This will allow you to compare prices and services and choose the one that best fits your needs and budget. Be sure to read some reviews from previous customers, and check out your painter's portfolio to ensure that they have the skills and experience necessary to deliver quality results.
Factors that affect a painter's hourly rate
There are several factors that can affect the hourly rate for painters in Australia. These include:
- Location: As mentioned, the location of the job can have a significant impact on the hourly rate. In general, the cost of living is higher in metropolitan areas, which means that painters in these areas may charge more.
- Type of paint: The type of paint used can also affect the hourly rate. For example, if the job requires special paint such as anti-graffiti or fire-resistant paint, the painter may charge more for their expertise. Cost of paint might be included in your painter's quote, or it might be itemised separately; to be confirmed once the painter has sourced your choice of paint.
- Other materials: the cost of materials may need to be considered if they are included in the hourly rate your painter is charging. In some cases materials required to produce decorative elements, paint feature walls, and complete specialty painting will be included in a painter's quote. You should be aware of the value of these materials in producing the effect you are looking for.
- Size of the project: The size of the project can also impact the hourly rate. Larger projects may require more painters or more time, which can increase the overall cost. It goes without saying that painting a three-bedroom house will require more hours to complete than a small apartment. Though it may not increase the cost per hour, it might still increase the total cost of your painting job.
- Level of expertise: Finally, the level of expertise required can also affect the hourly rate. If the job requires a highly skilled painter or specialised techniques, the hourly rate may be higher to reflect the difficulty level. Professional painting services are capable of delivering great results but you should be prepared to pay for what you're getting.
How much do painters charge per day?
If you're planning to hire a professional painter for a larger project, your quote may come in the form of a day rate rather than an hourly rate. That being the case, it is important to understand how much a painter may charge per day. As with an hourly rate, the cost of hiring a painter on a day-by-day basis can vary significantly depending on a range of factors, including each of the factors listed above.
Given what we know about hourly rates, this can translate to a daily rate of between $280 to $560 for an 8-hour day. Keep in mind, however, that these rates are just a rough estimate and may not reflect the actual costs in your area or for your specific project.
Multi-day projects are more likely to include complex painting tasks like decorative painting, detailed painting, or techniques that require additional materials. For example, painting high ceilings or walls with intricate designs may require specialised tools and skills, which can increase the cost. These extra factors can increase your paint costs so they are important to consider.
In conclusion, the cost of hiring a painter in Australia can vary greatly depending on a range of factors. On average, you can expect to pay around $280 to $560 per day for a professional painter, but it's important to get multiple quotes and clarify all of the details upfront to avoid any surprises. With a little research and careful planning, you can find a skilled painter who will deliver the results you need at a fair and reasonable price.
Tips for saving money on painting projects
While the hourly rate for painters in Australia can be high, there are several tips you can follow to save money on your next painting project. These include:
- Shop around: Before hiring a painter, be sure to shop around and compare prices. Get quotes from several different painters to ensure you're getting the best possible rate. That's easy to do with BorisDoes.
- Buy your own materials: To save money on your painting project, consider buying your own paint and materials. This can be cheaper than having the painter supply everything with a mark-up included. Just be aware that some painters are authorised representatives of particular brands which might result in a discount.
- Choose a off-peak season: Painting companies may offer discounts during off-peak seasons like autumn and winter, so it's worth considering scheduling your project during these times. Otherwise, ask your chosen painter to contact you when he next has a few days without work and can fit you in at a discounted rate.
- Negotiate: Don't be afraid to negotiate the hourly rate with your painter. If you have multiple quotes from different painters, you may be able to negotiate a better rate based on the competition.
- Do it yourself: If you have some painting experience, you can save money by doing the job yourself. However, keep in mind that painting is a time-consuming process and requires a lot of preparation and skill.
Finding an affordable professional...
Whether you're in South Australia, Western Australia, Queensland, Victoria or New South Wales, BorisDoes has professional painting tradies ready to help you with your interior or exterior painting project. Residential or commercial projects, house painting or fence painting, we'll help you find the experienced painter you need.
Simply start a task or request a quote, provide some details for the painting service you need, and you'll get estimates and quotes from painters near you. We have a wide range of reputable painters located throughout Australia so we're confident you'll find the painting Business or Tasker that's right for your job.
BorisDoes has experts for all types of painting projects - exterior painters to improve outdoor surfaces and professional house painters to give your walls a few coats of paint.
Painting is an important part of any renovation project, and it's important to understand the cost involved before hiring a professional painter. The hourly rate for painters in Australia can vary greatly depending on several factors, including the location, the type of paint, the size of the project, and the level of expertise required. By following the tips above, you can save money on your next painting project and ensure that you're getting the best possible rate.
How much does paving cost? | Australia | 2023
One of the quickest and easiest ways to improve the spaces outside your home is to have new paving installed. From driveway paving to patio and pathwa ...
How much does cladding cost? | The cost of house cladding in Australia in 2023
In the world of architectural design and building renovation, cladding stands out as an essential component for both aesthetic and functional purposes ...
How much do electricians cost? | The cost of hiring an electrician in Australia | 2023
Welcome to our latest blog post where we explore the cost of hiring an electrician in Australia. Navigating through the various pricing structures and ...
How much does it cost to replace windows in Australia?
Welcome to our comprehensive guide on the often underestimated, yet essential, aspect of home improvement in Australia – window replacement. Whether y ...
How much does a concrete driveway cost?
A significant component of any new house build, and more than a few renovations, is the installation of a new driveway. For those constructing a new h ...
How much does fencing cost per metre? [Australia 2023]
The old saying "good fences make good neighbours" is as true today as it was 50 years ago. Everyone needs boundaries and their own personal space. Fen ...